Day 42: Preparing for World Championships
Everything that we need at competition, which includes the pit, was packed and prepared for being shipped to St. Louis.
We worked on some hood geometry and started to look at the placement of the hanger tube and different sizes. We also finished the design of the new hood and CNCed the new hood plates. We laser-cut a new center divider for the hood. Everything was assembled at on Monday’s build.
The old hopper broke on the practice bot, so we laser cut new plates and assembled them onto the robot. We also cut spare hopper plates and spare intake ramps in case we need them during champs.
We started practicing a new kind of gear cycle called the check mark cycle, which we plan will probably use from here on out.
Today, we worked on shooter tuning and semi-automated gear placement in teleop using an ultrasonic sensor. For shooter tuning, we worked on fixing a problem where our stream will begin to walk backwards over long periods of time. We believe this is a result of the system becoming more efficient over time as the bearings on our flywheel heat up. To solve this problem, we tried compensating for the increased flywheel speed over time by taking an average speed of the flywheel between shots and using it to adjust our voltage.. For teleop gear placement, we tried to use the ultrasonic sensor to limit the amount the robot can drive backwards when scoring gears to prevent it from driving too far back and bending the spring. However, we found that the ultrasonic sensor updates far too slowly for this to actually work right now, so we are investigating ways to speed up the ultrasonic sensor and use our drivebase encoders to compensate for this lag.