Blog - October 2012
This Saturday, we had our first VEX tournament of the season at San Ramon. 6 of our teams (A-F) were present at the competition. Amazingly, all 6 of these teams got into elimination rounds. 3 of them were eliminated in quarterfinals, while the other 3 were eliminated in semifinals. So, while we did not win, we are proud of having gotten so many teams into elimination matches. Furthermore, the day provided several highlights. For instance, one qualification match saw 254F and 254E in the same alliance, and together they racked up an incredible score of 210 points. The video of this match is here:
Also, shortly thereafter, this happened:
That’s 2 of our teams, E and F, back to back on the top of the tournament ladder. Unfortunately, they later fell in the rankings but it was great while it lasted.
All 6 teams worked very hard at this tournament and did very well, if you weren’t there then please do congratulate them this week. We will now be looking forward to our next tournament, Bellarmine, which we are definitely aiming to win!
This past weekend Team 254 attended CalGames 2012 at Woodside High School, an off-season replay of the FRC game Rebound Rumble.
After 4 wins and 4 losses in qualification matches, 254 was the first alliance choice for the #1 seed, Team 971. Later joined by Team 766, the #1 alliance proceeded through the elimination matches, defeating the #8 alliance, #5 alliance, and the #2 alliance in 2 matches each. This marks the fourth year in a row that Team 254 has been a champion at CalGames.
Thank you to all the team members, parents, mentors, and friends who represented Team 254 at CalGames! We could not have done it without the hard work of all our students, including all of the scouts, pit crew, drive team, and more. A special thanks to the volunteers and mentors who donated their time and energy to help Team 254 work smoothly throughout the competition. I hope all our members enjoyed their first taste of FRC this year, and are looking forward to a fantastic 2013 season!
At the team meeting today we went through a lot of information rather quickly, and especially a lot to do with CalGames. So here is a brief recap of all of the information from the team meeting:
VEX Captains have requested the number of CAD Licenses, and we can begin installing them on the team laptops tomorrow.
Scouting Leadership applications should be submitted to [email protected] no later than 11:59pm Wednesday Oct. 3rd
Bellarmine VEX Volunteer form is now online! If you are not associated with a VEX team or your captain says it is okay, you can fill out the form to be given a volunteer position. You can fulfill your outreach requirement by volunteering! And get a free T-shirt!
And a list of all the information to do with CalGames:
- CalGames is on Friday October 12th and Saturday October 13th at Woodside High school, 199 Churchill Ave. Woodside, CA 94062
- Friday begins at 3:30, closes at 8:00
- Saturday is 7:00am-5:30pm
- 8 students can fulfill half of their outreach requirement by signing up to volunteer Saturday night. Look to the signups page for more info
- Attendance is limited to 40 team members at a time, so RSVP on the signups page!
- One slot will fulfill a tournament requirement but everyone is encouraged to attend for as long as they are able
- Attendance will be taken at the beginning and at the end of each shift. This is how credit will be awarded. If you are present at time when your name is not on the list, then you will not be given credit for that shift
- Freshmen are required to attend CalGames. If this is problematic, contact Ms. Roemer immediately
- Friday is mainly for returning members, new members are not encouraged to attend
- Consent Forms must be signed and turned in to Ms. Roemer by Wednesday, October 10th. No Consent form means you will not be allowed to attend CalGames
- Rides will not be provided to or from Woodside. Please find your own means of transportation, including carpooling with other 254 members!
- Students who signed up for the CalGames food order should reimburse Ms. Roemer $7 before next Wednesday, October 10th.
- Food will be available at Woodside for those who did not use the sign up form; however, it is on a first come, first serve basis
image courtesy of: //wrrf.org//media.team254.com/CalGames-2012-Logo-FINAL.png